Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Mercer's Missing Link

The Missing Link
After a solid year of "testing" this fly, I've realized its potential and it has become a go-to staple in my box.  It has effectively replaced quite a few flies that I used to throw and those that haven't tried it, need to!
Bunch of Missing Links
The Missing Link was developed by Mike Mercer and was a variation of Ralph Cutter's EC Caddis.  The EC Caddis is an excellent pattern in its own right, but the changes made by Mercer in the Missing Link make the later the best of the two, in my opinion.  Originally developed as a sort of caddis cripple imitation, the Missing Link has evolved into a pattern that can be utilized in many different hatches.  I believe that it's many features helps it be effective in all those different circumstances.  It utilizes the wing of an Elk Hair Caddis, the hackling of a Parachute Adams, spent wings like a spinner, and a slim body like an emerger.  I have fished it in both caddis and mayfly hatches with success and even fished it a few times where there wasn't a hatch and got a few fish to come eat it.  It truly is that effective sometimes.

Anyway, here's a short video I put together of the tie for those interested in adding some to their box.  Truth be told, I now carry about 6 dozen Missing Links in various sizes and colors!

Click HERE and check out our friend AC Fly Fishing's latest post and look closely to see what fly is in the mouth of the fish in the photo.  I'm sure you can guess what it is!

Materials:
Hook:  Tiemco 100
Thread:  Uni 8/0 Olive Dun
Rib:  Pearl Flashabou or Pearl Krystal Flash
Thorax:  Ice Dub - Peacock
Spent Wings:  McFlylon, Antron, or Z-Lon
Hackle:  Dun
Wing:  Elk Hair



Stay fly,

T



No comments:

Post a Comment