Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fly Pimp Gangsta Tricks

Photobucket
Photobucket
It's fall. Big things tend to go down in fall. Needless to say, despite my lack of posting, I've been on the hunt for big wild fish. Over this past year, one fishing lesson I've learned is in order to find a high frequency of large fish, one must go fish where few are willing to go. Yes, there are exceptions to this rule, but I've realized that here in Cali there are very few. High traffic areas complete with poachers, polluters, and punk asses have led me to take my quest for big fish elsewhere. Luckily, the Sierra Nevadas have a way of still protecting areas despite all of the aforementioned problems. The only key that unlocks these mystical spots is effort. One has to earn these large protected fish. I was fortunate enough to do some backpacking this summer and I'm quickly learning that a backpack and hiking boots are becoming a staple of my normal fishing gear. I relish in the fact that some of the spots I've come across I would not be able to tell someone how to get there even if I tried. I would personally have to show them. Recently my efforts have been pushed toward an area guarded by monster canyon walls. There is no road. There is only what is left of a forgotten trail. Steep elevation changes, copious amounts of poison oak, and fluctuating water flows are what guard this area. But.......when we do catch it on a magical day, when everything is just right, everything falls into place. Only problem is the big fish still don't come easy. These powerful fish will do just about anything to come off of the fly. Monster head shakes, 4 foot high out of water jumps, and drag screaming runs are all tools of these mysterious fish. Last weekend, I was even taken to my backing by just an 18" fish. I also hooked a monster that did one jump, screamed downstream, and with a couple of head shakes came off. I hooked another here almost two years ago now that decided to run directly upstream at mach speeds, which was ultimately faster than I could reel in line. Powerful. I dream about these experiences. I live for these experiences. Get out and explore! Quit complaining about CA and saying you "need" to move to Idaho/Montana. California still has places that can make one think they were dreaming and second guess if it actually happened or not. Get out there and the mountains will reveal their secrets.

Stay fly till ya die,
T
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment